Saturday, January 9, 2010

A New Year...A New Word
This year I have made only a few resolutions...like have a friend of mine teach me how to knit, get our fence up, and maybe find a good used sewing machine so I can start making Sarah dresses and add sewing to our school days. But the one I am working on daily is "Gentleness". A friend of mine decided to pick one word/character quality to work one each year and I thought that was such a really good idea.I teach my kids a new quality every month in schol why not let the Lord be my teacher and school with them....so I choose gentleness.
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 4:29
This verse spoke to me as I was teaching it to my children. How often do I correct with a tone that would tear them down instead of building them up in discipline? Do I take time to stop and listen to them, or even stop what I am doing and bend down eye-to-eye when I am correcting them? I want them to be careful in how they help encourage eachother to do what is right, instead of always telling me who is doing wrong. Am I so quick to jump when there has been a rule broken, that I am when they are doing what is right? God has shown me it isn't just the words I choose, but the way I say things, the expressions on my face and even if I am looking at them that can show gentleness. I would encourage you if you do not have a New year's resolution or would like one that can draw you closer to the Lord pray about a fruit of the spirit, or character quality you would like to add in your heart. Here are a few steps I am taking to help me in this area:
Step 1: I am letting those close to me know so they could help me and pray for me when I am struggling..and yes that even includes my children & husband!
Step 2: I am finding a verse a month to hang up throughout the house to memorize along the line of Gentleness.
Step 3: I am also hanging up anything that the Lord speaks to me about in various areas of my home to keep me on track.

Goodluck this year and may you grow closer and closer to the Lord everyday!!

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment