Friday, November 25, 2011

"A Quiet Heart"
Today my family and I broke a 5 year tradition. A tradition of joining the excitement and choas of the Black Friday lines. As I went about my day, picking up toys, folding laundry, doing dishes and cooking meals I realized.... We are blessed...blessed beyond measure. There are so many things we have to be thankful for. So many things! Each toy out of place, each dirty dish that was once filled with food-hot and warm to our tummies. Each warm sweater I folded and clean Pjs. It seems those pile of dirty dishes and laundry are much to be thankful for. My mind thought of the recent orphans we prayed for as a family and the missionary families hanging on our refrigerator. I wonder what they would say they were thankful for today?
As the thanksgiving holiday rolls past and the Christmas holiday approaches I pray that I can focus, and teach my children how to focus, on being thankful for what we have and finding more ways to give those things in much abundance to others in need. I saw this quote over at http://raisinghomemakers.com and it really summed up my heart. May this be my prayer and yours everyday!

***A Thanksgiving Prayer***
“Lord, we give You thanks for all that You in Your mercy have given us to be and to do and to have. Deliver us, Lord, from all greed to be and to do and to have anything not in accord with Your holy purposes. Teach us to rest quietly in Your promise to supply, recognizing that if we don’t have it we don’t need it. Teach us to desire Your will – nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else. For Jesus’ sake. Amen.”
(Elisabeth Elliot, Keep A Quiet Heart, pg. 126)

No comments:

Post a Comment